Garbage or waste disposal accidents are common household hazards but can be avoided with proper safety practices. Maintaining and using your disposal unit properly is key to preventing these accidents. Here are five essential tips for keeping yourself safe when using your Santa Rosa, CA, garbage disposal unit:
- Know the Basics: These disposal units involve sharp blades that can cause serious injury if mishandled or misused. Don’t put your hands or utensils into the disposal while it is running, and be sure to unplug it before attempting to clean or work on it.
- Protect Your Hands and Utensils: Wear protective gloves when working with the disposal unit, as the blades can cause serious injury. Avoid using metal utensils when disposing of food; opt for a wooden spoon or other soft material that won’t damage the blades.
- Monitor What You Put Down the Disposal: Certain food items should not be put down the disposal, as they can cause clogs, jams, and other issues. Examples include grease, fibrous vegetables (such as celery), eggshells, bones, pits from fruits or veggies, and coffee grounds.
- Use Cold Water When Operating Your Disposal: Hot water will melt fats and grease, which can cause clogs, so opt for cold water when running the disposal.
- Keep the Area Around Your Disposal Clean: To avoid food buildup and prevent fires or issues with your disposal’s blades, regularly clean the area around your disposal. Periodically check for leaks in the pipes from disposal to drain, and watch out for rodents that could inhabit the area.
- Inspect Your Disposal Regularly: Check your disposal periodically for any damage or wear and tear to the blades, seals, or other components, and repair them as necessary.
The key to avoiding waste disposal accidents is knowing how to use it properly and maintaining it regularly. Taking the time to stay informed on safety tips can go a long way in preventing any mishaps. You should also hire a plumber in Rohnert Park, CA, in case of any issues.
For reliable residential plumbing repairs in Santa Rosa, call our team of plumbers at Curoso Plumbing. We will show how our expertise can help keep you with your plumbing needs. Call us at 707-545-5017 today!