Bathroom drains are a frequent source of clogs, unpleasant odors and water damage in homes. However, with regular maintenance and care, you can keep your bathroom drains clear and functioning optimally in Santa Rosa, California. Here are 10 tips to help you keep your bathroom drains clean.
- Use Drain Screens: Install drain screens over each drain in the bathroom to prevent hair and other debris from going down the drain. Make sure to clean the screens regularly so they don’t become clogged themselves.
- Clean Regularly: Give your sink and tub/shower drains a good scrubbing every week or two using an old toothbrush or soft-bristled brush dipped in baking soda and vinegar. This will help dislodge any dirt, grime, or residue that has built up over time.
- Flush with Hot Water: Once a month, flush hot water down each drain in the bathroom to help clear away anything that’s been sitting in the pipes and could eventually lead to clogs.
- Don’t Pour Grease Down Drains: Fats from grease, oil and other cooking remains should never be poured down a sink or tub/shower drain as they can solidify inside the pipes and create blockages further down the line.
- Avoid Chemical Drain Cleaners: While chemical drain cleaners may be tempting for tough clogs, these products are not safe for your pipes and can cause corrosion over time.
- Don’t Flush Sanitary Products: Sanitary products, including tampons and wipes of all kinds, should never be flushed down the toilet as they can cause blockages in the pipes or septic systems.
- Keep an Eye on Water Levels: If you notice that your water levels are rising when you flush or drain your tub/shower, then it’s likely a sign of a clog further down the line and you need to take action soon.
- Regularly Check Pipes Outside Your Home: If you have exposed pipes outside your home (such as near your foundation), check them regularly for signs of damage such as leaks or clogs. This will help prevent any water damage from occurring.
- Call a Professional When Necessary: If your drains are still clogged or slow despite your efforts, don’t hesitate to call in a professional plumber for assistance. This is especially important if you have an older home with worn-out pipes or septic systems.
- Use Boiled Water: Another good way to keep your bathroom drains clean and clear is to pour a pot of boiled water down them every few months as this can help break up any gunk that may be stuck inside the pipes.
By following these simple tips, you can easily keep your bathroom drains clean and working optimally in Santa Rosa, California! At Curoso Plumbing Inc. we can help you with any plumbing-related issues and provide professional advice on how to best maintain your bathroom drains. Contact us today at 707-545-5017 for more information!